Frequently Asked Questions

Please find answers to the most frequently asked questions below. If you still need help, feel free to reach out to us at or 0800 00 35 45 for assistance. We’re here to help!

Top Frequently Asked Questions

Loss of rent, Contents, Damage to the building and Legal liability – Refer to The REAL Landlord Preferred Policy Wording V2 2020 wording for more details.

Immediately if the property is vacant and being advertised for rent. Alternatively at the beginning of a new tenancy.

Yes, you can place cover but this policy works on the premise that more than 10 days late constitutes arrears. If the tenant has been 10 days late or more the cover will exclude Intentional Damage and Loss of Rent. If rent is then paid on time for two consecutive months full cover is reinstated.

Yes, you may pay monthly by Direct Debit or annually. contact us to find out more.

Yes, the cover is no longer valid when the landlord takes possession of the property. Please advise us in writing.

No, the cover is not valid for members of the landlords family. The policy should be cancelled. Download a Cancellation_of_Cover_form

Landlords who insure more than one House with us may be entitled to a discount. There is no discount for the Landlord Preferred Policies

Yes, if it’s the same owner and property and if the new company is an Approved Property Management Company. The Transfer Form must be completed and faxed or emailed to us. We will transfer the cover and advise the new property manager.

No, only when claiming the Defaulting Tenant benefit of a maximum 16 weeks loss of rent – we require a conditional order or tenancy order of possession. We would also require a copy of the court/tribunal order for a hardship claim.

No, the policy has been designed to cover the insurance needs of landlords and is only available as a complete policy.

Only for Intentional Damage and Theft by the tenant or their invitees. The landlord must have a house insurance policy as well.

No, the policy is only available to permanently leased properties that fall within the boundaries of the Residential Tenancies Act, 1996 and amendments.

Secure the property immediately if required. If the estimated cost of repairs exceeds $5,000 contact us to arrange a loss adjustor to inspect the property before repairs commence.

Contents are non “fixed” items such as light fittings, curtains and blinds, dishwashers, plugged in stoves etc. Any household goods or appliances left specifically for the tenants use. Above ground swimming pools or portable spas.

Under our Landlords Liability we cover up to $2 Million for some events.

Yes, you can only claim what the tenant is legally liable for, i.e. rent arrears to vacate plus the notice period they should have given as per the Residential Tenancies Act, 1996 and amendments.

No, the policy only covers loss of rent. The fully recovered bond should be used to cover the re-letting expenses.(There are special benefits payable with a loss of rent claim that can be claimed)

Yes, maximum claimable up to 12 weeks.

Until the property is re-let or the lease expired or the property is removed from the rental market or no attempt is being made to relet the property, which ever comes first subject to the policy limits.

Yes, to contents only by any of the insured events. There is also a minimal cover for accidental building damage to apartments only.

We include Natural Disaster cover for contents only – that have suffered damage or loss due to a Natural Disaster